- 2021 Organization Application Form http://goo.gle/3qVxArQ
- GitHub Milestone https://github.com/wechaty/summer-of-wechaty/milestone/4
- Google 2021 Season of Docs Participants https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants
Create easy to learn tutorials for beginner users of Wechaty
About Wechaty organization
Most of our contributors come from Asia, and our users are conversational AI developers, machine learning researchers, freelancers who are building a chatbot for their clients, and companies who are building commercial services on top of conversational automation, and top 1 scenario is building on top of WeChat/WeCom.
Our largest user is a company that helps enterprise-scale their conversations on WeChat/WeWork by providing a Social CRM solution for their clients.
About Wechaty project
The project’s problem
Users come to Wechaty website seeking how to use Wechaty to build a chatbot application for solving their problems. Unfortunately, the learning curve is not friendly to our users, they always struggle with setting up their development environment, can not get started with the simplest example source code, and find it hard to know what they can do with our API. This problem leads to us losing lots of new users, an increased number of questions asked in the community, and lowered user satisfaction.
Our current version of the Tutorials is totally a messy structure because they were not planned properly to begin with.
We need to improve the tutorials on our website, the better it is, the happier our users will be!
The project’s scope
Tutorials are lessons that take the reader by the hand through a series of steps to complete running Wechaty code. They are what our project needs in order to show a beginner that they can achieve something with it.
They are wholly learning-oriented, and specifically, they are oriented towards learning 'how' rather than learning 'what'.
Tutorials need to be useful for the beginner, easy to follow, meaningful, extremely robust, and kept up-to-date.
The Tutorial project should:
- Allow the user to learn by doing
- Get the user started
- Make sure that the tutorial works all the time
- Ensure the user sees results immediately
- Make the tutorial repeatable
- Focus on concrete steps, not abstract concepts
- Provide the minimum necessary explanation
- Focus only on the steps the user needs to take
- Work with the contributor team to update the documentation on the Wechaty site.
What is out-of-scope for this project
- This project is not an API reference, it can link to related pages for references.
- This project is not for experienced users
We have two committer candidates for mentoring our GSoD project, and we estimate that this work will take three months to complete. The creator of Wechaty @huan (who is the core maintainer of the whole ecosystem) and @rui have committed to supporting the project.
Rui is mainly helping the technical writers to:
- get understand about the Documentation System: https://documentation.divio.com/
- join the Wechaty community as soon as possible and understand all the tools our community is using.
- get answered all the questions about Wechaty and the community.
Measuring your project’s success
As of today, tutorials on our site receive 60% of pageviews of total traffic, the average visit duration is 1.5 min, the bounce rate is 70%.
We will track the above metrics (page views, visit duration, and bounce rate) monthly after the documentation is published. We will also track the number of user getting started questions, starting quarterly after the documentation is published.
We would consider the project successful if, after the publication of the new documentation:
- The tutorials page views increase by 50%
- The visit duration on tutorials increases by 50% (>2 minutes)
- The bounce rate of tutorials decreases by 30% (<50%)
|Budget item||Amount||Running Total||Notes/justifications|
|Technical writer audit, update, test, and publish new documentation for primary project: tutorials||5000.00||5000.00|
|Technical writer audit, update, test, and publish new documentation for secondary projects||3000.00||8000.00|
|Volunteer stipends||500||9500.00||3 volunteer stipends x 500 each|
Ref: proposal template
- Tutorials ($5k)
- How-to Guides ($1k)
- Reconstruct Wechaty landing page with value propositions, @huan, May 01, 2021 ($1k)
- References ($1k)
- Introduction ($1k)
- Landing page ($1k)
- gRPC & OpenAPI ($1k)
The excess of the budget will be subsidized by the community.
Wechaty GSoD'21 blogs
- Google Season of Docs ❤️ Wechaty, @huan, Apr 30, 2021
- Reconstruct Wechaty landing page with value propositions, @huan, May 01, 2021
- Technical writers onboarding
- Shwetal Soni: GSOD'21 project proposal for wechaty, Shwetal Soni, May 03, 2021
- Soumi Bardhan: Interactive tutorials for newcomers, Soumi Bardhan, May 03, 2021
- Joseph Mawa: 2021 Google Season of Docs Technical Proposal, Joseph Mawa, May 03, 2021
- Abhishek Jaiswal: Project Proposal for GSoD'21, Abhishek Jaiswal, May 03, 2021
- Sajen Sarvajith K: Blog Post for interactive tutorial (Google Season of Docs 2021 Proposal), sajen sarvajith, May 03, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Applicant: Souvik Biswas, Souvik Biswas, May 04, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Volunteering Proposal, Simin Liao, May 04, 2021
- Hi I'm Rohitesh interested in volunteering, Rohitesh Kumar Jain, May 04, 2021
- Shraddha Vasant Prasad: 2021 Google Season of Docs Technical Proposal, Shraddha Vasant Prasad, May 05, 2021
- GSoD 2021 proposal to Improve the gRPC and OpenAPI ecosystem, Rajiv Ranjan Singh, May 18, 2021
- Vasvi Sood: 2021 Google Season of Docs Application, Vasvi Sood, May 06, 2021
- Team proposals
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - Tutorials, Souvik Biswas, May 11, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - How-to Guides, Abhishek Jaiswal, May 12, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - References, Soumi Bardhan, May 11, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - Introduction and Explanation, Joseph Mawa, May 13, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - Reconstruct Wechaty landing page with value propositions, sajen sarvajith, May 12, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - Improve the gRPC and OpenAPI ecosystem, Rajiv Ranjan Singh, May 18, 2021
- Google Season of Docs 2021 Team Proposal - Volunteering, Rohitesh Kumar Jain, May 12, 2021
- Hello Wechaty GSoD’21 Technical Writers!, @huan, May 08, 2021
- Weekly meetings
If you are a Technical Writer and you are interested to contribute to wechaty project for Google Season of Docs 2021, Please send your proposal (by following the template of writing the statement of interest from Google) to our mail list at firstname.lastname@example.org (web archive), and then introduce yourself after joining our Wechaty Gitter.im channel for connecting.